Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Poised

A215 officially starts on Friday but from the high frequency pings as new posts pop into the online conference and the many blog posts, it feels well under way. It's rather like being poised on my bike at the top of a steep, rocky, loose downhill, handle-bars gripped tight; full of fear but exhilerated; no idea what'll happen on the way down but ready for it.

A215 is a tough downhill for me. Since school I've had a tiny belief that maybe I'd be good at writing and a gargantuan fear of failure and derision.

I'm convinced I have nothing of interest to say, my life experience is inadequate and I'm far too lazy to get anything done. I picture my inner critic and my self belief as badly matched warriors, so maybe this picture sums up the course for me (Google Image Search delivers an image for every occasion as ever) .



Imagine how happy I am... I've dipped into the first two weeks of activities and it's a revelation. The focus is short activities to prompt ideas and get the writing habit started. I thought I hadn't a creative thought in my head, and within a few hours I was proved wrong. Haikus were fun (although Andy says they shouldn't span a line break as most of mine do) and best of all I'd managed thock my inner critic on the shin, and feel small stirrings of contentment with what I'd written.

Phew. I hope it carries on like this!

2 Comments:

Blogger Carole said...

Love the picture. If your self-belief is the little warrior, then she's certainly having a good pop at the inner critic!

Hope you continue to enjoy the course.

Carole - A fellow A215.

12:46 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Yup, my self-belief is the little one, but ready to take aim!

Hope you enjoy the course too!

Liz

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home