Friday, February 10, 2006

Emotion, but no 'tension'

I wrote my first poem in years this week, tears streaming down my face. I got up in the night, feeling miserable, and headed downstairs for a hot drink, the company of the cat by the dying embers of the fire, and to write. Then I did what I used to do in all those years when I wrote a diary: I just wrote, and out it all flowed. At first it was rational, in sentences, organised, coherent, and then gradually it was staccato lines, raw, with repetition and suddenly there it was. A thing, which could be a poem. It's pretty stark now, and it surprised me when it just appeared like that. Afterwards as I sat there looking at it (feeling much better, as it happens), I remembered back to the last time I wrote poetry at just such times.

I've never really shown anyone those poems from student days. My English teacher, Mr Thurlow, always said that good poetry needed "emotion and tension". I interpreted 'tension' as technique and never credited my ourpourings much. Now's my chance, though, to see them as drafts, as starting points and try to make them better.

Hey, it's exciting - maybe I'll even dare to post the raw new poem when I've worked on it a bit (or in the less open forum of the tutur group conference).

While my nerve is on the ascendent, I'm going to share one of the student days poems. I'm just dying to scrawl some self-deprecating justification but no, I'm just posting it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Carole said...

Liz,
Just to say thank you for your comment on 'Writing Me Down'. After a technical hitch, I finally found it and replied!

I shall be very interested to read more of your blog later, as it looks interesting. I once turned an emotive diary entry into a poem that I am very pleased with. I look forward to reading yours when you feel comfortable to share.

Carole

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is great when the freewriting works that way, isn't it?

I'm glad that you are feeling better for the outpouring - and I do like your student poem. There's nothing there to be embarrassed about, and it appears quite skillful to me.

3:23 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Carole,

I think I just need to look at afresh before making it public. It was quite a bitter splurge about the impact of bullying, and while I don't want it to lose it's potency, I want to make sure that it makes sense!

Good to hear from you.

Liz

11:27 AM  
Blogger Liz said...

Hi Beth

You know I hadn't thought of it as freewriting, but I suppose that's exactly what it was. It's the first time something has emerged almost formed from freewrites. When I wrote the frosty morning Haiku, the images were drawn from a freewrite (my only real attempt at 'morning pages' in fact), but they were pulled together later on.

Thanks for the positive comment on my student poem. Criticism is always welcome too. I hope my blog doesn't give the impression I can't take it!

I've been enjoying your mail art, by the way.

Liz

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home