Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Captured in dialogue

My tutor has set an activity for us before the day school: writing down twenty things we say often (and getting the help of our family and friends to decide what they are). The group are going to use them to write autobiographical poems. So far, Andy has contributed, “Are you making tea?”, “Will you rub my shoulders”, “Ca-at, chipstick, where are you?” and “I’ll get up in five minutes”. Hmm. I’m not sure this is a self-portrait that I feel comfortable about! It’s an interesting thought, though. I think I’ll be noticing what other people frequently say over the next few days!

At the Guildford day school I gate-crashed last week, we started with a group chant(!) and then wrote a poem or short story using each letter of the alphabet in turn. The silent writing was difficult under time pressure, but starting from the only thought in my head (ANXIETY) I managed something. It was interesting because it didn’t occur to me to start anywhere but A, where it did to others. It just shows again how you need to think around things, look at them in different ways. When the tutor asked for volunteers I forced myself to read aloud to break down the fear. I couldn’t look at anyone, I was so tense, but I did it and felt more relaxed afterwards!

I had to love the buildings at the Surrey University campus. This one runs parallel with the railway. Can you tell?
train building
Perhaps there’s a transport theme?
ship building

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home