Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Dialogue

Last night, our tutor group conference got going: we all started posting pieces and commenting on them. I got some very positive feedback, which is encouraging! In particular, because some comments were about the Silver Jubilee poem. I feel quite uncomfortable about poetry at the moment. I find it the easiest thing to write, but I'm not very convinced that I'm doing it 'correctly'. I'm looking forward to finding out more when we get to that part of the course.

Our tutor group has been very positive and pleasant, even while sharing honest criticisms. The main conference is a little more 'prickly'. I had an interesting discussion last night with Andy about conference etiquette. Mornev had posted some work into the Cafe for comment and others had replied to her with suggestions. Then, one person started a new thread and commented that her work needed more action and less waffle. I thought he hadn't handled it very well. I'm quite sure Mornev wouldn't have minded that comment directed to her but starting a new thread and talking about her in the third person was, to me, a little like going to the next table in the pub and starting to criticise someone behind their back (but in a loud enough voice for them to hear!) Andy thinks that with all conferences you just have to take a deep breath and never take anything personally because the medium of email just breeds misunderstandings about intention or tone. After reading the A215 Cafe for a few weeks, I have to agree! Funnily enough, I read Mornev's piece after reading all the feedback and had to laugh when I found it quite free of waffle - clear, simply written and evocative!

My one frustration at the moment is lack of time. I'm itching to spend all my time writing, thinking about writing, blogging or reading or commenting on people's work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home